This is my special bread, period. Nothing is more satisfying than the smell of fresh baked bread. Don’t you enjoy baking bread for your family? I find it very satisfying. When it comes out from the oven, the whole kitchen smells like heaven. Sometimes I like to mix some chopped olives or walnuts for an extra special touch to my bread.
When it is really cold outside I like to make warm vegetable soup and serve it with a slice of this crusty bread. I hope you will enjoy as much as we do!
Makes 1 large loaf or 2 medium ones
1 package Butterfly™ gluten free bread flour blend
1 Tablespoon dry yeast
2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 egg (or an egg replacer)
1 cup lukewarm water
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil
1/2 Tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, optional
- In a mixer bowl, place bread flour blend, yeast and sugar. Mix for 2 minutes on a low speed. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, water and oil; add to the mixer bowl. Knead until dough is formed. Add salt and continue kneading for 4-6 minutes until dough is shiny and a little sticky.
- Spray oil on top of the dough, so the dough doesn’t dry. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, dry place, for 60 to 90 minutes or until dough is double in size.
- Transfer dough to a lined baking sheet. Punch the dough to get air out. Grease your hands and shape dough into 1 or 2 loaves.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise again for 30 more minutes.
- Heat oven to 400F degrees. Place a dish filled with boiling water at the bottom of the oven. Sprinkle with seeds and bake for 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F degrees and continue baking for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack. The bread will keep fresh in an airtight container for 24 hours, or slice and freeze.
A perfect bite…
If you could choose between one loaf bread or small rolls with toppings and cheese, what would you choose? I would definitely choose the small rolls for two reasons: they are quicker to bake and easy to entertain with.